The Master of Science in Environmental Health (MSEH) degree, offered by the College’s Department of Environmental Health Science, prepares students for careers that examines how environmental and occupational exposures impact human health.

Graduates of the program are employed as project managers for environmental consulting firms, industrial hygienists, air quality analysts, and risk assessors. Many students continue their studies in advanced graduate degree and professional degree programs (i.e. Ph.D., M.D.).

More Information


To print the M.S.E.H. curriculm, click here.

The M.S.E.H. requires a minimum of 32 semester hours, including 23 hours of coursework (at least one half must be in courses open only to graduate students), related Master’s-level research (6 hours) and completion of a thesis approved by the Master’s committee (3 hours).

MSEH Core Requirement Courses: 15 hours

BCMB 6000 (or higher) General Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
EHSC 6010 Proseminar in Environmental Health
EPID 7010 (or higher) Introduction to Epidemiology
BIOS 7010-7020 Introductory Biostatistics I and II
EHSC 8150 Environmental Health Seminar

Examples of Environmental Health Science Elective Courses: Choose at least 4 classes

EHSC 6080 Ecotoxicology
EHSC 6080 Environmental Air Quality
EHSC 6090 Emerging Technologies: Bioremediation
EHSC 6100 Industrial Hygiene
EHSC 6150 Solid and Hazardous Waste Management
EHSC 6310 Environmental Microbiology
EHSC 6400 Environmental Issues in the Developing World
EHSC 6490 Environmental Toxicology
EHSC 6610 Water Pollution and Human Health
EHSC 6700 Genetic Applications in Environmental Health Science
EHSC 6710 Environmental Biotechnology
EHSC 7060 Fundamentals of Environmental Health Science
EHSC 8100 Current Topics in Environmental Health Science
EHSC 8110 Fundamentals of Chemical & Microbial Risk Assessment
EHSC 8220 Predictive Toxicology Using Mathematical Models
EHSC 8310 Advanced Topics in Aquatic Microbiology, Health and the Environment
EHSC 8410 Oceans and Human Health
EHSC 8510 Environmental Risk Assessment and Communication
EHSC 8540 Microbial Quantitative Risk Assessment
EHSC 8550 Developmental & Reproductive Toxicology
EHSC 8610 Aquatic Toxicology
EHSC 8630 Quantitative Ecological Toxicology
EHSC 8800 Special Problems in Environmental Health Science
EHSC 8930 Chemical Toxicology

College of Public Health Seminar (PBHL 8200): 1 hour

Students in theM.S.E.H.  program are required to take this seminar course one time during their program of study. The course will incorporate guest speakers representing all areas of public health.

Master’s Research and Thesis Requirements: 9 hours

EHSC 7000 Master’s Research (6 hours)
EHSC 7300 Master’s Thesis (3 hours)

How to Apply

Applicants will be evaluated based on GRE scores, GPA (undergraduate and/or graduate), official or unofficial transcripts, statement of interest and three letters of recommendation. Students seeking admission to the M.S.E.H. program directly from a bachelor’s degree will be expected to show a high level of achievement in their undergraduate degree to indicate capacity for adequate performance in M.S.E.H.  level curriculum and research. International students whose native language is not English must also submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).

Students admitted to the M.S.E.H.  program should have earned a degree (bachelor’s) from an accredited program in Environmental Health or any equivalent science degree (Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology, etc.).

The admissions committee of the Department of Environmental Health Science will review all applications and make recommendations to the full faculty. For an applicant to be accepted to the program following favorable departmental review, one member of the faculty will need to sponsor the applicant as the academic and research advisor.


The Department of Environmental Health Science considers applicants for fall matriculation*. Final applications deadlines follow the dates set by the graduate school:

Domestic and International Applicants

Fall Semester March 1 **

* Students may be considered for Spring/Summer admission only under extraordinary conditions and based on the explicit recommendation of a faculty advisor.

**For full consideration of funding and aid, applicants should have their completed applications submitted before January 1, for Fall admission**

Application materials to be sent directly to the Graduate School:

  • Application
  • Application-processing fee
  • Two transcripts (official academic records for international applicants) from each institution of higher education attended. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted as a part of the application. If accepted, UGA will require one official transcript to be sent.
  • 3 letters of recommendation
  • GRE scores (OPTIONAL)

International Applicants – additional information needed

  • TOEFL scores -OR- IELTS Scores
  • Certificate of Finances (COF) form
  • Financial Certification Statement and Visa Information
  • For more information on International Applications and tuition please click here.

Application materials to be sent directly to the EHS department:

Departmental Application, which includes:
Cover form (see link above)
Statement of interest
CV (or resumé)
Supplementary evidence of scholarly activity (e.g., published paper, abstract, etc.)

Please mail the departmental materials to:
Department of Environmental Health Science
c/of Graduate Coordinator
University of Georgia
206 Environmental Health Science Building
Athens, GA 30602-2102
or email to:

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the M.S. degree research based?

Yes. There are required courses for the program but you are expected to develop and execute an original research project in the field under the direction of your major professor and your MS committee.

What is the difference between the MPH and M.S. degrees in Environmental Health Science?

The MPH with a concentration in Environmental Health Science is a professional degree that focuses on curriculum and practical experiences. You take about 4 semesters of course work, complete a one-semester internship and write a capstone paper. The M.S. degree is an academic and research-based degree. You take a smaller number of courses and spend a significant amount of time working on an original research project, which generally includes collection of primary data (field, bench, etc.) and analysis. The research is written in the form of the thesis, which you must defend publicly, and will be submitted for publication with your major professor. Both degrees take about 2 years to complete.

Do I need to find a major professor (faculty advisor) before applying to the MS program?

We highly recommend that you identify a possible major professor before you apply.  Finding a suitable fit and having a faculty advocate on the admission committee is very important. This person will also be your primary source for funding through research assistantships. We strongly encourage any interested applicants to visit our on-line directory and click on the names of our faculty members to get an idea of their research and background. (  E-mail is the best way to initiate contact with our faculty. You do not need to find a faculty advisor for the MPH degree.

Are all graduate students provided funding?

Ability to support M.S. students is considered in our admission process. Because these research-based degrees do not lend themselves well to part-time status and because you will be working in a lab to generate your data we generally only accept students for whom we can reasonably assure that we have funding in the form of assistantships. Assistantships include the following: 1) research assistantships (RAs), which are generally provided from grants held by individual faculty members (another reason that finding a major professor as soon as possible is so important), 2) teaching assistantships (TAs), which are limited in number and offered to students with expertise to teach certain undergraduate seminars, laboratory sections or to assist faculty teaching large lecture classes, or 3) graduate school assistantships (GSAs), which are available only to the most competitive applicants are administered through the graduate school (full applications must be submitted by early January to be considered for the graduate school awards). Because we try to provide funding for all incoming students, we generally have more qualified applicants than we can accept/support. We highly encourage interested students to seek outside funding before applying (e.g., EPA STAR fellowships [], NSF Graduate Research Fellowships [], among others).  Very limited funding is available for MPH students unless you have a specific arrangement to work on research with a faculty member.

What GPA do I need to be considered for admission?

The UGA Graduate School has set a minimum of 3.0 undergraduate GPA for consideration. However, we evaluate an applicant’s entire package including statement of interest, previous experience, fit in the department and letters of recommendation in addition to undergraduate/graduate GPA in our admission decision.

Are GRE scores required for admission?

No, we currently do not require standardized test scores such as the GRE for admission to the EHS program. Students may choose to include GRE scores for consideration with their application, but this is optional and not required.

Can I be a part-time student?

For the M.S. program, it is very difficult to be enrolled as a part-time student. This is primarily because these are research-intensive programs that generally require full time work in the lab or field. There are select cases where a part-time option is possible but those are usually addressed on a case-by-case basis involving discussions with your major professor. The MPH degree is more amendable to a part-time format.

How long will it take to get my degree?

In general, the M.S. and MPH degrees take about 2 years to complete. The Ph.D. degree takes from 4 to 6 years, depending on your project and if you are coming in with a prior master’s degree. You can learn more about the Ph.D. degree in environmental health here.

Can I meet with faculty members about the program?

If you would like to meet with any of our faculty members, please e-mail them to coordinate an appointment.

Can I speak with current students about the degree?

If you would like to talk with a current student in the program, please e-mail your request (and your specific interests) to and we will arrange contact between a current student in your research area and degree program of interest.