Convening influential leaders from across the state’s public health community, the State of the Public’s Health (SOPH) Conference at the University of Georgia is a day-long gathering focused on meaningful, constructive dialogue and practical solutions for Georgia’s public health challenges.
The SOPH aims to bring together the public health workforce, elected officials, policymakers, academia, community-based health organizations, the business community and others passionate about improving the health of all Georgians. Its goal is to craft a practical, pragmatic plan of action for Georgia’s leaders that is realistic about the myriad of opportunities and challenges confronting the public’s health in Georgia.
To accomplish this, the conference focuses on driving discussion and idea sharing through interactive, solution-driven workshops, poster sessions and presentations.
This event is organized and hosted annually by the UGA College of Public Health’s Office of Outreach and Engagement at the University of Georgia Hotel and Conference Center in Athens, Ga.
Our next conference will be held October 17, 2017.
Regular updates can be found on the 2017 SOPH Conference Facebook Event Page.
- October 18, 2016: Keynote speakers included: Alonzo L. Plough, PhD, MPH, Vice President of Research-Evaluation-Learning and Chief Science Officer at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation; John Auerbach, MBA, Associate Director for Policy at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Acting Director of the Office for State, Tribal, Local and Territorial Support (OSTLTS); Mary Guinan, MD, Founding Dean, School of Community Health Sciences, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and Author of Adventures of a Female Medical Detective: Brenda Fitzgerald, MD, Commissioner, Georgia Department of Public Health and State Health Officer. [2016 SOPH Conference Agenda, Columns Recap ]
- October 6, 2015: Featured speakers included Dr. Jeff Levi (Trust for America’s Health), Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald (Commissioner, Georgia Department of Public Health), and José Carlos León Vargas (SiKanda). Press coverage for this event was provided by graduate students in UGA’s Health and Medical Journalism Program. Their briefs, as well as audio/visual, stories are archived here. [Press Release, Program]
- September 10, 2014: Speakers included Steven Woolf (Center for Health and Society, Virginia Commonwealth University), Jean O’Connor (Georgia Department of Public Health), Corinne Graffunder (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), Randy Wykoff (East Tennessee State University College of Public Health). [Press Release]
- October 3, 2013: Feature keynote speakers were Lens Nichols (George Mason University) and Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald (Commissioner, Georgia Department of Public Health). [Press Release]
- March 21, 2013: Speakers Tyler Norris (Kaiser Permanente) and Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald (Commissioner, Georgia Department of Public Health) kicked off the inaugural SOPH conference at UGA. [Press Release]