As a Master of Public Health (MPH) student, you will be required to complete a Field Placement. The office of the Practice Coordinator at the College of Public Health has agreements with many exciting sites. These sites reflect the current public health job market and include agencies such as theGeorgia Department of Public Health and District Health offices, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, the American Red Cross, as well as local hospitals and non-profits. New agreements can be coordinated upon request.
MPH Field Placement Information sessions are held each Fall and Spring Semester. Enrolled MPH students are required to attend at least one. See the College’s website event calendar for upcoming dates.
The checklist below provides a timeline for the various steps required to complete your MPH field placement. Links to necessary documentation are also provided below. For more detailed information on the Field Placement process, please refer to the MPH Field Placement Handbook. Please read everything carefully; you are responsible for all submissions and deadlines. If you have any questions, please contact CPH Field Placement & Practice Coordinator Jacquelyn Hughes.
Pre-Field Experience (Beginning 2 Semesters Before)
- Schedule advisement with Academic Advisor to approve/discuss Field Placement timing.
- Schedule advisement with Practice Coordinator regarding site and MOU information and approval. A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with your placement site is required for it to count toward your degree. The Practice Coordinator will be able to tell you if the site you are interested in has a current MOU. New MOUs can be initiated, but it can take up to 8 weeks to have one fully executed. (No new MOUs will be initiated after the mid point of the semester before you are to enter into the field placement.)
- Contact and schedule Interview with site and acceptance into placement.
- Discuss projects and activities with Site Supervisor/Preceptor. Check with site supervisor about any IRB approval needed.
- MPH Internship Approval and Proposal Form completed with all signatures and sent to Practice coordinator (as PDF by email) DUE BY MID-TERM OF SEMESTER BEFORE GOING INTO INTERNSHIP.
- Applied Learning Agreement and the Records Release forms signed and witnessed and sent to Practice Coordinator as a PDF via email along with proposal documents.
- Obtain Liability Insurance if applicable (Please refer to the appropriate MPH Field Placement Handbook: 2018/2019)
- Communicate with site about HR requirements (e.g. background checks, paperwork, orientations, badges, parking).
- Register for 6 hours of Internship (PBHL 7560). (You will not be cleared to register unless you have your approval paperwork in and a MOU is in place. NO EXCEPTIONS!)
- Field Placement Briefing – You are required to attend the Internship/Residency placement Briefing scheduled at the end of the semester before you start your placement. The dates will be on the master calendar and will also be sent out via email. (Refer to Field Placement Briefing PowerPoint Slides.)
Field Experience Mid-Term (by Mid-Term Date)
- Check the UGA Registrar Office’s Academic Calendars for important dates (e.g. – Mid-term, last day of class, etc.) Respond to “First of the Semester” check-in email.
- Respond to Mid-term check-in email. Make Mid-term Evaluation document available to Site Supervisor/Preceptor.
- Complete MPH Mid-term Evaluation with site supervisor and sent to Practice Coordinator and Academic Advisor.
End of Semester (1 Week Before the Last Day of Class)
- Complete MPH Final Evaluation with Site Supervisor. Email to Practice Coordinator AND Academic Advisor.
- Complete MPH Final Report using template. Send electronically to Practice Coordinator AND Academic Advisor.
- Complete the Time Sheet and have it signed by your Site Supervisor using template. Email it to the Practice Coordinator AND Academic Advisor.
- Complete Field Placement Experience Survey. The survey link will be send to you via email.