The University of Georgia College of Public Health is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). The Council on Education for Public Health is an independent agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education to accredit schools of public health and public health programs offered in settings other than schools of public health. These schools and programs prepare students for entry into careers in public health.
According to their website “CEPH assures quality in public health education and training to achieve excellence in practice, research and service, through collaboration with organizational and community partners.”
The Council aims:
- to promote quality in public health education through a continuing process of self-evaluation by the schools and programs that seek accreditation;
- to assure the public that institutions offering instruction in public health have been evaluated and judged to meet standards essential for the conduct of such educational programs;
- and to encourage -through periodic review, consultation, research, publications, and other means – improvements in the quality of education for public health.
The College of Public Health has been accredited since 2009 and earned its second re-accreditation in June 2022 for a seven-year term extending to July 1, 2029.
Below are important milestones of the College of Public Health leading to its most recent CEPH re-accreditation site visit occurring November 1-3, 2021:
- Preliminary Self-Study and Electronic Resource File (ERF): June 1, 2021.
- Receive Comments from CEPH: Late July or August 2021.
- Public comments close October 2, 2021.
- Mock visit: September 7-10, 2021.
- Final Self-Study and ERF to CEPH and reviewers: October 2021.
- CEPH site visit: November 1-3, 2022.
- College of Public Health Response to site visit report: December 2021 – March 2022.
- Final Self-Study to be reviewed by CEPH Board of Directors: March 2022.
- CEPH approves continued accreditation for 7-year term: June 2022.
For information concerning the accreditation of the College of Public Health, please contact Dr. Jessica Legge Muilenburg, Assistant Dean for Strategic Initiatives and Assessment, (706) 542-2300.
Recent re-accreditation self-study document as well as the CEPH site visit report are available for review below.