Health Equity Hub @ CPH
Health equity is embedded in all that we do in the College of Public Health at the University of Georgia. That is why we are launching the Health Equity Hub, which will serve as the nexus and home for our efforts to improve public health for all. The Hub will be at the intersection of teaching, research, and service in the College.
Health Equity Fellows
Bridging service, research, and faculty-student mentorship, the Health Equity Fellows program launched in Spring 2021. Through a competitive process, CPH students are invited to propose a community project and will receive a faculty mentor and stipend to support the development of their work. The projects, undertaken in partnership with the Georgia Municipal Association (GMA), must focus on health equity or the elimination of health disparities in a Georgia community.
The Spring 2021 Class of Fellows are –
- Kenya Murray, Ph.D. student, working in Fitzgerald with Dr. Juliet Sekandi,
- Carlyncia McDowell, Master of Public Health student, working in Milledgeville with Dr. Janani Rajbhandari-Thapa,
- Harrison Huang, Master of Public Health student, working in Young Harris with Dr. Mel Garber,
- Amber Bullard, Health Promotion and Behavior undergraduate student, working in College Park with Dr. Christina Proctor,
- Jennifer Quezada, Health Promotion and Behavior undergraduate student working in Moultrie with Dr. Bob Galen.
Health Disparities Research Group
The Hub will also serve as the home for a health disparities research group of interdisciplinary faculty who will work together to obtain extramural funding and produce research aimed at understanding and improving health disparities across race, ethnicity, sex, age, and geography.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion training is a strategic plan priority for all employees in the College of Public Health. Beginning January 2021, a Pathways partnership with the Office of Institutional Diversity at UGA will facilitate progress toward our faculty and staff earning their Certificate in Diversity and Inclusion.
Social Determinants of Health Certificate (Coming Soon)
The College’s Office of Outreach, Engagement, and Equity is developing a Social Determinants of Health Certificate for Academic Year 2020-2021. This certificate will provide students with skill sets in public health on topics of racial and social justice, health equity, health disparities, and interdisciplinary approaches to solving public health problems.