Health Sciences Campus
The University of Georgia Health Sciences Campus (HSC), which has become a central location and historic home for the College of Public Health, is a 58-acre property located between Prince and Oglethorpe Avenues near downtown Athens, Georgia. It has a rich legacy in the Athens community. For more than 120 years, it has served students of various ages, levels and disciplines.
From 1891 to 1932, the campus served as the State Normal School, Georgia’s first teachers’ college and the historical center of what is now known as Athens’ Normaltown district. The oldest surviving buildings were built during this period, including the Carnegie Library Learning Center (CLLC). Built in 1910 with a grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation, the building now serves as a student center and digital library.
The campus served as the site for the U.S. Navy Supply Corps School from 1953 until 2005, when a series of federally mandated base closures paved the way for UGA to convert the historic site into the UGA Health Sciences Campus. In 2012, the College of Public Health officially held its first classes there while the College’s department of epidemiology and biostatistics became the first UGA unit to call the new campus home.
Now with more than 200 faculty and staff, 900 students and more than $30 million in active research funding, the College is the cornerstone of the campus in terms of enrollment and research funding.
The College, which shares the campus with Augusta University/University of Georgia Medical Partnership, continues to contribute to the HSC’s evolution as a primary hub of activity in the Athens medical services corridor along Prince Avenue. A fully functioning academic environment, the Health Sciences Campus offers housing, food services, library resources and recreational activities in addition to facilities for teaching and research.
- Rhodes Hall – This building is home to the administrative offices of the College of Public Health: Dean’s Office, Office of Academic Affairs and Student Services, Office of Research, Office of Outreach and Engagement, Business Office, CPHOIT, Development, Communications, and the Health Informatics Institute. Street address: 105 Spear Road, Athens, GA 30602 [NOTE: Mailing zip is 30602, but to work with GPS/maps you have to use 30606]
- B. S. Miller Hall – This building is the home of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics. Mailing address: 101 Buck Road, Athens, GA, 30602
- Wright Hall – This building is the home to the Department of Health Policy and Management and the Department of Health Promotion and Behavior. The Wright Hall Annex serves as the home for the Global Health Institute. Street address: 100 Foster Road, Athens, GA, 30602
- Hudson Hall – This building is the home of the Institute of Gerontology. Street address: 102 Spear Road, Athens, GA 30602
- Commissary – This building is home of the Institute for Disaster Management. Street Address: 105 Bowstrom Road., Athens, GA 30602
HSC Parking – Parking is limited on the HSC Campus. However, visitors parking is available in a pay lot on Foster Road off of Oglethorpe Ave. HSC parking information can be found at on the UGA Transportation & Parking Services website or you can download the Health Sciences Campus Parking Map (PDF) here.
The University of Georgia main campus in Athens, Georgia, covers 605 acres and includes 313 buildings. To its north, the campus adjoins historic downtown Athens, which features many boutiques, restaurants, entertainment, and service businesses. The university covers 4,308 acres in Clarke County and owns a total of 43,261 acres throughout the state.
- Environmental Health Science Building – This building is home to the Department of Environmental Health Science. Street address: 150 East Green Street, Athens, GA 30602
- Ramsey Center – The former home of the Department of Health Promotion and Behavior, the Ramsey Center serves as the secondary home of College’s undergraduate advisors in Health Promotion. Street address: 55 Carlton Street, Athens, GA 30602
Main Campus Parking – Parking for off-campus visitors visiting the Environmental Health Sciences Building is available at the Carlton Street Parking Deck or the South Campus Parking Deck. For those visiting the Ramsey Center, visitor parking can be found at a surface pay lot (E03) adjacent to the East Campus Parking Deck. Maps and detailed visitor parking information can be found at on the UGA Parking & Transportation Services website.